May The 4th Be With You
Created in 2011 by fans, Star Wars Day will forever embolden us geeks to wave our freak flags high in celebration of one of the most iconic franchises of our time.
I was in the 5th grade when I was introduced to George Lucas's genius that birthed the Star Wars franchise. My childhood best friend celebrated her birthday by taking us girls to see Episode I - The Phantom Menace. From the moment the lights fully dimmed and the opening crawl came up on the screen, I was engulfed in this fictitious distant galaxy where aliens, droids, and humans coexisted.
I wanted to be Queen Padmé Amidala
The pop culture phenomenon is now celebrated around the globe on Star Wars Day. "May the Fourth be with you" was chosen by fans as a pun on the catchphrase "May the Force be with you". In celebration of one of my favorite franchises of all time, I thought it fitting to share a few tidbits about me with all of you.
- I LOVE to dress up. A great date night, girl's night out, or event will always give me an excuse to do just that.
- I'm fun-sized at 5'3.75". YES, the .75 matters bc I'm "too tall" to wear a petite pant, yet too short for a lot of regular jeans.
- My favorite jeans are from Gap, Urban Outfitters, and Articles of Society. They have cuts to enhance my juicy peach.
- I could wear a dress every.single.day. It makes it 10x easier to get up and out the door effortlessly.
- Halloween is my favorite holiday next to Christmas. Did I mention that I love to dress up? My freshman year in college indoctrinated me into the beauty that is cosplay. I was NOT prepared. Luckily I had an obsession with NOLA at the time and owned a ruffled bra and plenty of beads. I was a "mardi gras girl" (whatever that meant).
- I have wanted to dress up as Leeloo from The Fifth Element for YEARS. I think I'm finally skinty enough to pull it off. Chris Tucker's character, Ruby Rhod, is a STRONG second choice. Thank you weekend-long celebrations!
- I came out of the closet to my closest friends in 2007. My parents "found out" that following summer. My extended family got the memo in 2015.
- I met my first love on that same pivotal Halloween night. He taught me to love my body and be more vulnerable. I thank him for that.
- I have had 4 lovers in my life. Two were women, and two were men.
- I'm open to talking about my sexuality, but I'm no one's guinea pig or dirty little secret.
- I have never, nor will I ever mess around with anyone that is married (I feel this is necessary to state given my region). I HAVE had women wait until the first date to inform me of such.
- From "friendly" coworkers to people I have or have not met, to my dismay, a number of people have claimed to have slept with and/or dated me.
LGBTQIA people NEVER STOP coming out of the closet, and it's extremely annoying
- All of my friends know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my neighborhood, BUT if I had to live anywhere else in Atlanta, it would be in Lil' 5 Points or Downtown Decatur (allegedly this is the mythical area where all of the lesbians reside).
- Since being in Atlanta, I've lived in Dunwoody, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Bankhead/West Midtown, College Park, and Downtown.
- My favorite vegan restaurants in Atlanta are Green Sprout, Cafe Sunflower, and Soul Vegetarian.
- My favorite places to grab a bite in my neighborhood are Fontaine's Oyster House, Tuscany at Your Table, and George's Bar & Restaurant. (That was really hard to narrow down. There are a lot of great restaurants over here). You can't beat the service and my orders have never been incorrect.
- I'm not vegan. I'm slowly weaning off of dairy, and I eat seafood. (Do you REALLY understand how hard it is to give up charcuterie and fresh seafood??) I eat what feels good and nourishes MY body, but I sneak in a little lamb and duck every blue moon.
- I'm allergic to oysters, but I play Russian roulette with them and a dose of Benadryl. No, I don't own an epi-pen either.
- I can never get enough of going to the High Museum of Art, Little Five Points, MJQ Concourse, and Clermont Lounge.
- I don't own a car anymore. I walk, Uber, or SMARTA everywhere.
Do. Or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
- I have dabbled in a few different industries. Working in tech was the most fulfilling.
- I'm the eldest of three, and I'm very close to my siblings. I have two brothers, and my sister is 19 years younger than me. We all have the same parents.
- I grew up going to a private school in Griffin, GA, which is why I do not sound like I am from Georgia (nor a minority on the phone apparently). My style is unlike most Georgians as well, but I assure you that I was born and raised in the Bible Belt.
- I transitioned to public school in high school, and I was bullied A LOT. If you're a reader experiencing the same, please reach out to me or someone you trust that can advocate on your behalf.
- Contrary to popular belief, I have a reclusive nature and I'm very shy. Sharing the spaces and places that I love with all of you pushes me to leap beyond my comfort zone.
Now it's your turn! Share a few pieces of you that you would like for me to know. Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.
Thank you always for reading, and I hope to see you again next week!